Hi, I am Robert Bates
I have a snoring problem. Well, actually I had a snoring problem. Snoring is not a joke though [...]
Read more >>>
Snoring Solutions Overview
- Oral AppliancesIf you have been looking for a snoring solution for any amount of time [...]
- Chin StrapsAnother device commonly used to stop snoring is the chin strap or chin up strap. This device is [...]
- PillowsOne option you may have seen before is the anti-snoring pillow. These aren’t anything [...]
Best Snoring Devices
This device is what I use to keep myself from snoring. This mouthpiece works very well for me [...]
Vitalsleep is another one that is known to provide results. It’s not bad at all actually. If your jaw is the reason [...]
- Sleeper Friendly Ninja Moves To Stop Snoring! April 14th, 2014Read more >>>
- Snore-Ex Review: The Cheapest Mouthpiece I Have Found April 1st, 2014Read more >>>
- Mediflow Waterbase Pillow Review: Not a Snoring Solution February 10th, 2014Read more >>>
Anti-snoring Chin Straps: How Do They Work?
The anti-snoring chin strap has been around for a while. Sometimes they are also called a chin up strap. This is because of what they do to prevent you from snoring. It’s a very simple device so don’t believe the hype and pay too much for one.
How Do They Work?
A chin strap works by holding your chin up at night while you sleep. This is accomplished by holding the bottom of your jaw up in a sling like fashion.
Typically one end of a chin strap goes around the back of your head, near the top, while the other end will support your jaw. This keeps your mouth from hanging open while you sleep.
What to Look For
Most chin straps that are made to prevent snoring are made of different kinds of fabric so that they can be as comfortable as possible. If the device is not comfortable then it may stop you from snoring, but it may also keep you from sleeping!
Since you are trying to get a good night’s sleep be sure to check out the material the strap is made of before you buy it. Even try it on if that’s an option.
Another thing to look at is the general design. Some look like a sling for your head while others look more like an octopus with buckles. It seems that the sling-like designs are more comfortable for most people than the ones with tons of straps.
In my experience, if the chin strap you are checking out looks uncomfortable then it probably is. That rule always worked well for me when I was trying out different solutions. Needless to say I have a lot of uncomfortable chin straps lying around the house now.
Since this device works by holding the jaw up and in place while you sleep it is not right for everyone. Chin straps are mostly just for people who snore because they sleep with their mouth open. If you snore for other reasons then this kind of device will not help you.
Beyond the comfort factor and the kind of snoring that it prevents there are some other things to consider if you are still thinking of going this route.
For one thing, how much do you move while you are sleeping? This isn’t something most people think about before they buy a chin strap. If you are the kind of sleeper that tosses and turns and fights all through the night then this device is probably not a good choice for you.
Since a chin strap relies on being in the right position to work it is important that it can stay where you need it. If your sleep is restless the chances of that are pretty slim. Even the best of chin straps can slip or slide from just rolling over or moving the wrong way. You definitely need to think about this before you spend the money on one.
Design comes back into play here. The sling-like designs have less ways to slide off your head. If you find a chin strap like this with holes for your ears chances are that it will stay where it is supposed to. The designs that use a lot of smaller straps have a lot of things that can go wrong and make getting the right fit more complicated.
For Mouth Snorers Only
I don’t like to see anyone waste their money. That being the case I would only recommend a chin strap to you if you snore because you sleep with your mouth open and you stay relatively still during the night. Otherwise these devices won’t do much to keep you from snoring if anything at all.
The anti-snoring chin strap can be a suitable option for some people, just make sure that it is right for you if you choose to try one. Not many people do well with them and reviews tend to be mixed on most products but often favor the negative side. For most people a chin strap is not the best option. It’s not necessarily a bad option, just not the best.
You Might Also Like:
- Anti-Snoring Mouthpieces: Which Kind Is Right For You?If you have been looking for a snoring solution for any amount of time then I’m sure you must [...]Read more >>>
- Types of Snoring Solutions OverviewSince there are so many different types of snoring solutions out there I know things can get co [...]Read more >>>
- Anti-Snoring Pillows: How They Are Supposed to WorkAnti-snoring pillows are something that I recommend people to steer clear of. When looking for [...]Read more >>>
- What Is A Snoring Chin Strap?If you’re considering a snoring chin strap, stay tuned – you’re about to learn how they w [...]Read more >>>